Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to set up custom format MaxDiff with 2 exercises

I want to ask respondents about the importance of different benefits, but I want them to make one set of judgments as "Importance to ME" (Least and Most) and one set of judgments as "Importance to my organization" (Least and Most).

I used the information at https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/help/issues/ssiweb/online_help/hid_web_custommaxdiff.htm to get the display set up like I wanted, but I have two problems (possibly related).

1. I don't know the appropriate way to assign variable names for the 2nd set of B/W (i.e., Most/Least) judgments so the data will be saved in a way that can be analyzed.

2. Something about the way I have it set up currently breaks the local simulation and I get a message --
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

The current code for the first (non-header) row of the MaxDiff table looks like this:

<tr>
<td class="item_text_cell alt_color2" width="60%" ><div class="item_text">[%MaxDiffDesignLabel(BenefitImportance_1, 1) %]</div></td>

<td class="best_input_cell alt_color2 input_cell clickable">
[%RadioSelect(ImportanceMD1_w, MaxDiffDesignValue(BenefitImportance_1, 1))%]    
</td>

<td class="worst_input_cell alt_color2 input_cell clickable">
[%RadioSelect(ImportanceMD1_b, MaxDiffDesignValue(BenefitImportance_1, 1))%]    
</td>

<td class="best_input_cell alt_color2 input_cell clickable">
[%RadioSelect(ImportanceMD1_ForDivLeast, MaxDiffDesignValue(BenefitImportance_1, 1))%]    
</td>

<td class="worst_input_cell alt_color2 input_cell clickable">
[%RadioSelect(ImportanceMD1_ForDivMost, MaxDiffDesignValue(BenefitImportance_1, 1))%]    
</td>
</tr>

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Mark
asked Apr 29, 2015 by MEVK (175 points)
retagged Apr 29, 2015 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer
Did the error leave anything in the admin module error log? If everything is named correctly this should work though.

Make two maxdiff exercises with the same item list, number of sets, and items per set, number of versions, etc. Then export your design from one and import it into the other. Move the corresponding questions from each exercise onto the same page, and create two free format questions on each page, one for each exercise.  This will allow you to easily analyze both exercises without a lot of manual processing. (In testing the design version numbers that get assigned to each person for each exercise stayed synced but I'd certainly keep an eye on this before it goes live as well as while it's running, if not they'll be responding to the wrong items. Could still analyze it since the data is in there but would be some work. Make sure all of the survey data is reset after you sync the designs.)

The variable names for both exercises will be in the same _b/_w format, except one set will reference the variables in the first free format question and the other set will reference the variables in the second, and each exercise will have different base names specified in the suppression code that you add into the maxdiff header1's. The RadioSelect() tags for the second exercise can still be in the first free format question, but you need to make sure it references the correct variable names.
answered Apr 30, 2015 by Nolan Kaplan Bronze (4,090 points)
selected Jun 19, 2015 by Rajesh Rana
OK.  I've got this one step closer. I set up the added exercise and used the appropriate variable names. The first question seems to work fine -- it even asks for a different response if I mark the same item as B and W for either task. However, I'm still getting the internal server error -- where can I find the server log file when I'm running this as a local test?

Mark
If it says Sawtooth error you can view from the test -> admin module. If more of an issue with the local web server not sure. It happens when you submit and only after this particular question? check that your free format variables are the right type maybe? are you doing anything else weird? I started with the code you posted and only changed a few names and it worked ok.
There was no error log saved locally, but I figured out the problem. I had copied in some html and during editing the pairing of <div> and </div> codes was off. That was causing the error.

Nolan's answer works. Thanks Nolan!