Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

sys_RespNum ordering in Data1 Table

My understanding of the way sys_RespNum is managed is if I am a respondent who is the 10th person to commence the survey, I will be issued sys_RespNum=10 and if I am the 55th person to commence the survey, I will be issued sys_RespNum=55 and so on ...

If I view the list of sys_RespNum's through the admin module via View/Edit or Search, the sys_RespNum's are in numerical order. The only missing sys_RespNum's are those I may have deleted.

If I look at the Data1 Table (by clicking on Advanced in the admin module ), I noticed the ordering of sys_RespNum are not in numerical order as they are through the admin module via View/Edit or Search?

I'm trying to work out the order but couldn't see a valid reason? What's the reasoning behind this odd order?
asked Mar 5, 2014 by Paul Moon Platinum (97,120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
The only thing I can think of is databases don't always return results in an exact order unless you specify it using ORDER BY or GROUP BY.  That could be my only hunch.
answered Mar 6, 2014 by Mike Lodder Gold (22,975 points)