Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Sawtooth survey data linked to Microsoft Access

I have successfully linked "live" tables from our Sawtooth mySQL database to Microsoft Access via the ODBC database feature.

I discovered one major issue however - the maximum number of fields that Microsoft Access appears to display / link is 255. I have noticed this restriction in Microsoft Access 2003 and 2013.

Has anyone else had any experience with linking Sawtooth v8 data with Microsoft Access? Have you managed to find a way around this problem?

Happy to hear your thoughts / experiences.
asked Feb 18, 2014 by Paul Moon Platinum (97,670 points)
retagged Sep 1, 2016 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
I have no answer for you other that "it's time to move to SQLServer (or other) and leave MSAccess"

This link on limitations of MSAccess should be useful... http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/access-2010-specifications-HA010341462.aspx (other limitations are good to know like max number of characters in password, number of joins in query etc...)

You should probably by pass the limitation of 255 fields  by splitting your DB, add foreign keys  to PKs, etc... And then do a lot of queries to work with the splitted tables... Not easy, not safe, time consuming...
answered Feb 18, 2014 by phronexia Bronze (3,170 points)