Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Prohibit checking both columns in column-based grid

Hello,

I have the following question and I'm having trouble programming the grid:

Overall, which program feature is the MOST valuable to you as a customer and which is the LEAST valuable?
Feature 1
Feature 2
Feature 3
Feature 4
Feature 5
Feature 6 (other/spec)

Most Valuable
Least Valuable

I only have 6 features, so I can't do Max Diff...but it would basically need to operate like that.

My first instict was a radio column-based grid, where they could only check one item as Most Valuable and one item as Least valuable. The trouble is, this allows them to select one feature as both the Most AND Least valuable. Is there a way to prevent this?

I actually thought about programming it as a one-page MaxDiff exercise, but it would make the data a pain to analyze on what is otherwise a pretty simple survey.

Thoughts?
asked Apr 26, 2013 by cschlosser Bronze (945 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
You can use the "custom javascript verification" in advanced tab to check the existence of your mentioned problem and return an error with the message" you cant select the same item as most and least"

the help file is quite helpful on this topic, go to custom javascript verificaton form and hit F1
answered Apr 27, 2013 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,980 points)
selected Apr 29, 2013 by cschlosser
My first custom verification - it works! Thanks!