Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Warning when using mouse-over effect

Hi everyone,

when I use the mouse-over effect to add an explanation for my attributes (and some levels), I get a warning once I generate a design.
The warning goes as follows:
"Attributes - The display text for some attributes /levels is long or contains special characters. Consider editing text to add an additional "Internal Label" - for easier reference during analysis and simulations"

Could anyone tell me what exactly that means? Would I get problems later on if I ignored this?  It is the first time I use Sawtooth and I am not exactly sure how relevant that warning is.

Thank you in advance.
asked May 13 by maxive94 Bronze (780 points)

2 Answers

0 votes
The reason is that your level text actually includes all the scripting for the mouse-over effect.  When you go to do your analysis and look at levels I'm sure you don't want all that script as part of the label for the level.  The spot for internal label on each item allows you to put the exact text you want to show for that level.

The warning will not cause problems with your data but just alerting you to something you may want to consider changing now rather than dealing with long labels during processing.
answered May 13 by Jay Rutherford Platinum (50,145 points)
0 votes
That warning is telling you that because of the length or content of the level's display level (which could include HTML, etc.), when you are working in creating utility reports or simulations that having such long text may make the reports look bad and hard to work with.

Especially if you intend to provide a simulator to clients, a long blob of text or HTML would look fairly bad.

To alleviate this, where you define the attribute display text there is a field where you can type in a shorter, more to the point internal label that will be used by the software in these places.
answered May 13 by Walter Williams Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (22,905 points)