Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Install MouselabWEB or MouseMotionListener

I was just wondering if there is the chance to implement MouselabWEB or a MouseMotionListener in a survey? I wanted to check if participants use a mouseover or if they disregard it.
In case anyone has experiences with it, I would be more than happy if someone can share the script or something similar with me.
asked Jan 16 by JoshuaS (250 points)
Using a third-party tool might be overkill if you just want to know whether or not respondents hovered over an element.  It sounds like you may be using the ToolTip function in your survey and now want to record whether respondents hovered / clicked on it - is that right?
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yeah, that is correct. I think  you have created a library question for this, right? But is there also the chance to install something like Mouselab, as this is often a cheap solution for an adequate replacement for eyetracking.
Thanks once again for the great support :-)
There's a library question that implements a third-party tool for showing larger versions of images if clicked on, but that might be overkill if you're just looking to show some extra text or something on hover / click.

There are limitations in the use of third-party tools on the server side of conducting a survey, but the sky is usually the limit when it comes to using third-party tools on the frontend.  The first thing I would always recommend doing is looking up the tool's licensing agreements and making sure that there won't be any possible legal contentions with how you are using it.  After that, you usually download one or more .css or .js files for the tool and add them to your study's graphics folder.  You can reference them in the survey with one of these:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="[% GraphicsPath() %]FILENAME.css">

<script src="[% GraphicsPath() %]FILENAME.js"></script>

For a CSS file or a simple JS file, you might already be done.  In many cases, though, some additional JavaScript needs to be written to either trigger the special behavior or to hook it up with Lighthouse Studio's response fields.  Ideally the library that you use will have documentation to help with this, but I can offer to help resolve any questions that remain.
Alright, thanks a lot for your help. :-)

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.