Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Importing Pencil & Paper data - “Input string was not in a correct format”

I have an LS study (“study A”, LS 9.12.1) with several CBC and Maxdiff components.

I want to import data from an equivalent study (same CBC and Maxdiff designs etc), called (“study B”)

In Study A I used Field | Create Accumulated Data Template File.

I took data exported from Study B, and (I think) edited it to match the template:
var names matching (including case),
variables not listed in the template deleted
values of sys_RespNum changed to avoid matching values in Study A.

Missing values are empty cells in the CSV file.

From Study A I then used Click Field | Accumulate Paper & Pencil Data... and browsed to the .csv file containing my Study B data and…it failed.

The error message was “Input string was not in a correct format”  

I have eyeballed the 103 var names and done other checks but I can not see the problem in var names or data.

Any tips on common causes of “Input string was not in a correct format”?

Thanks
Dan
asked Dec 13, 2021 by dan r Bronze (4,025 points)
An update.....
No one completed all the CBC and Maxdiffs - they were directed to a subset of them based on responses.

I  imported a fake 1 row dataset in which there were no empty cells - as if the person completed everything  - this worked fine.

This led me to realise I had to provide a Version number for all the CBC/Maxdiff designs - even if the person did not face those exercises....which fixed the problem

I will leave this on the forum (even though it was a conversation with myself!)  in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.