Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Constructed list AIG, ListMax and Insert combination

I'm having a predefined list of devices (called Devices).
My goal is to always add the 1st when have a score >0 in A11a. Next randomly add max 3 of all other devices with list number 2 to 7, also when they have a score>0 in A11a.
Devices 15 = Importance. This should always be added in the first option and is not asked in any of the previous questions.

I have the following constructed list with Devices as parent list:

AIG (A11a,0)
REMOVE (Devices,1)
REMOVE (Devices,8,15)
RANDOMIZE ()
LISTMAX (3)
AIG (A11a,0)
REMOVE (Devices,2,15)
RANDOMIZE ()
INSERT (1,Devices,15)

This however doesn't show the needed list.
asked Mar 11, 2013 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
First, I am assuming your devices question is a grid, ranking or constant sum of some sort? AIG can only be used for these type of questions. See AIG in the Sawtooth HELP for a better explanation.

Looking at the above set of instructions, the only item left could possibly be item 1 if it is >0 and item 15. The remove instructions are eliminating all other items.

Here's a solution (if I am undertsanding your problem correctly) ...

Create a constructed list (DeviceConList) - this will get all devices 2-7 greater than 0 and select a maximum of 3 and randomise. Finally, it will add item 15 in position 1.

AIG(A11a,0)
Remove(Devices,1)
Remove(Devices,8,15)
Randomize()
ListMax(3)
INSERT (1,Devices,15)
answered Mar 12, 2013 by Paul Moon Platinum (98,670 points)
Yes indeed, A11a is a constant sum question. If I use your constructed list (DeviceConList) I will not add device 1 when A11a>0. That's why I added the second part. I think I need to make 3 lists:

1. DeviceConList1: randomly select 3 devices with A11a>0
AIG(A11a,0)
 Remove(Devices,1)
 Remove(Devices,8,15)
 Randomize()
 ListMax(3)

2. DeviceConList2: when device 1 is >0 in A11a, then always add to the list
AIG (A11a,0)
 REMOVE (Devices,2,15)
 RANDOMIZE ()

3. DeviceConList3: Merge 1 & 2 and add importance (device 15)

ADD (DeviceConList1)
ADD (DeviceConList2)
RANDOMIZE ()
INSERT (1,Devices,15)

Does this sound logic?
Apologies. From your earlier query, I couldn't understand you needed Device 1 if >0.
Your 2nd constructed list doesn't need the randomize function as there will only be one item if any, so that can be removed.

List 1 gets a maximum of 3 devices for devices 2-7 ONLY.
List 2 gets device 1 if >0.
List 3 combines lists 1+2, randomises and then pops device 15 into position 1 of the list.

That should all work ok now.