Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Highlighting Words (Question from LH Question Library) data recording in language other than source/survey language

Hi all,

I'm currently running a study that uses the highlighting words lighthouse library question (https://sawtoothsoftware.com/resources/question-library/highlighting-words) and I am seeing data from this question being recorded in Chinese (specifically the words respondents highlighted).

I was able to duplicate this myself by translating the source/English survey page to Chinese and then highlighting a word or words, so I assume this is whats happening (respondents are translating the pages to Chinese and then highlighting words), but I was wondering if there is any chance at all that this is not the case and something else is going on?

Also for context, I am using Lighthouse version 9.6.1.

Thanks in advance!
asked Jun 8 by Makella
So the survey is in English, but they're using an outside service such as Google Translate to translate the page into Chinese, so that when they highlight the Chinese word, it is recording the Chinese text they highlighted instead of the English text they should have seen? Is my understanding correct?
I don't know how browsers implement their translation functionality, but based off my knowledge on how that question works, I think your hypothesis is likely correct.  The question uses JavaScript to record the contents of the HTML that were clicked on, so it could record different information if the browser were to modify that HTML.

Updating the main text element to look like this may prevent the browser from trying to change the HTML as part of translation:

<div id="[% QuestionName() %]_Text" translate="no">

But it looks like that flag is not yet supported in all major browsers:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Global_attributes/translate#browser_compatibility

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.