Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Send respondents to external survey part and let them continue where they left off

Hi everyone,

I have a survey with a part that is programmed in another software. Is it possible to send them to that other survey and, when they finish, let them come back to the original survey to continue on the consecutive page from where they left it?

I tried putting a non-terminating Terminate page in the middle but it didn't work. Using passwords, it tells me there already is a respondent with that password..

Best
Kathrin
asked May 26, 2021 by Kathrin (440 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
Yes, I have had to do this quite often and many others on here as well.  You are on the right track.  You do need to have individual passwords set up (which it sounds like you do).  You would have them go to a terminate question where you have unchecked terminate respondent and selected the box for Link to a Questionnaire or Website.  That will redirect them to the other survey.  The other survey would then redirect them back to your first survey but you will want to add &sys_skipto=QuestionName to the end of the link after the password.

Replace QuestionName with the question they should pick up at (typically right after the terminate page with the redirect).

Give this a whirl and let us know how it goes.  If you have any further issues I'm sure we can sort it out.
answered May 26, 2021 by Jay Rutherford Platinum (50,145 points)
Thanks, this worked.
Is there a list of all the sys_-functions somewhere for reference?
Great!  Glad it worked out for you.  If you go into the help menu and click on the index tab and then scroll down to System Variables you will see a list.  However, these are just some variables used within the system and does not even include the sys_skipto (that is under Respondent Access to Survey).