Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

WTP - segmentation

Hello, I am currently doing an analysis on WTP and I want to segment my data. On categorical variables it works well but I would like to also segment my data based on numerical variables. In my specific case, I have age as numerical values but I would like to make two categories (younger generation, older generation) to investigate WTP in these two segments. How can I do that? Thanks in advance!
asked Apr 15, 2021 by Melanie Schreiner (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
You can create discrete segments from continuous data.  Inside Lighthouse, under the Analysis menu, you can first set up a filter where you define logic, like QuestionName < 30 and QuestionName>30.  Then also under the Analysis menu, you can add columns to your data based on those filters, like Age2 where you assign a 1 in the data if they are in the first filter or a 2 if they are in the second filter.

Alternatively (and maybe a little easier in your case) is you could download/export a CSV of the data, delete all columns except respondent number and the age column, then in Excel write a simple if statement to produce the 1/2 values yourself.  Then you can import the new CSV back into Lighthouse to append your new variable.
answered Apr 15, 2021 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,045 points)