Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Grid number of rows

Dear all,

I have a numeric question asking the participants how many trips they conducted yesterday.
The next question is grid requiring to complete the details of each trip.
Is it possible to be shown as many rows as the number of trips of the participant in the above question?

Thank you in advance!

Maria :-)
asked Feb 5, 2013 by Maria Kamargianni (365 points)
edited Feb 5, 2013 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
Hi Maria,

You can do that easily.  Just define predefined and constructed lists. Set your defined list items 1 to 20 for example. Your constructed list should be ADD (Parentlist, 1, numericQ)
Use the constructed list as grid row and it will work
answered Feb 5, 2013 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,980 points)
Dear Bahadir thank you for your immediate response.

Shall I define ONE list with for example 10 predefined list members (from 1 to 10) or TEN lists?
Where I should add the (Parentlist, 1, numericQ)?
Please could you explain what denotes the Parentlist and what the 1? I see that the numericQ is the name of the question that defines the number of the rows (source).

Thank you again!
You need to create 1 parent list that contains the 10 items (1-10). Let's call this parent list ItemList.

You then create a constructed list and insert the script  (Itemlist,1,numericQ).

The "ItemList" is the parent list, the "1" is the start code and the "numericQ" is the end code. So if the survey answer for numericQ is 7, then the constructed list would get items 1-7 from ItemList.

Also make sure your grid row uses the constructed list.
I have made a lot of efforts but without any result yet. I created the parent list and in the constructed list I wrote the script. I also read the instructions from the manual.

I cannot understand what is going wrong. Could it be due to the fact that I have multiple columns (select and numeric | column-based grid)?

p.s. I uploaded the questionnaire on web as well to test if it works.
Hi Maria,
as a checklist:

1- Make sure you have a parent list called Itemlist, which is predefined
2- Itemlist should contain items named First, Second, etc.
3- Lets assume your numeric question is named Q5Num
4- Now your constructed list, named constItemLIst, should have Itemlist as parentlist and its code should be
ADD(Itemlist,1,Q5Num)

5- Go to your grid question and in rows tab select "constItemList" as the source.
you can mail me the .ssi or I could create a small script for you if you are still stuck after trying these.