Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

add random information

I would like to randomly add extra information to a text question type to 50% of the respondents.  Furthermore, i would like to view in the data which respondents have had the extra information.  How can i do this?
asked Mar 2 by Jeroen

1 Answer

0 votes
To split the respondents in half, I would recommend a least fill quota.  Add a quota question to your survey with two cells, both set to always qualify; then set the question membership method to least fill.  So long as the max quota respondent count is high enough, every respondent will get put into whichever cell has the fewest completes and you can see which respondents went into which buckets in the data.

When it comes to conditionally show text, you've got a few options.

First, you could create two text questions, only one with the conditional text.  Then you could use skips so respondents only see one of the questions.

Or you could create a list with two items and use Sawtooth Script to show the label of the item related to the respondent's quota value:

[% ListLabel(MyList, MyQuotaQuestion) %]

Or you could use unverified Perl like this to only print out some text when the quota has a certain value:

[% Begin Unverified Perl
if (GETVALUE('MyQuotaQuestion') == 2) {
    return 'special text';
}
End Unverified %]
answered Mar 2 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (173,475 points)