Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Exclude max diff item from some respondents

I have a needs list of 32 items. The entire list only applies to one of my 3 groups. For the other two, I’d like to remove 3 items from the list.  Is this possible with one maxdiff set-up? What we’ve done on the past was to create separate projects then merge the data together afterwards. I’m wondering if I could accomplish this in the same project by either some list magic/display logic OR two maxdiffs with display logic so a respondent only sees one?  What do you suggest as the best way to tackle this?
asked Feb 15, 2021 by Kristen

1 Answer

0 votes
I have seen users address this need by adding multiple exercises to their study and skipping respondents so they only see one exercise, but I don't know what the implications are regarding analyzing the results.

In Lighthouse Studio 9.9 and above, it is now possible to handle this with a single MaxDiff exercise.  You can create a constructed list that removes the special three items for certain respondents, then set your MaxDiff to use this constructed list.  You can find more here:

https://sawtoothsoftware.com/help/lighthouse-studio/manual/index.html?relevant_items_maxdiff.html
answered Feb 15, 2021 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (205,575 points)