Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

epoch time conversion

When importing data into SAS, the data still shows up as epoch.  Is there a way to change this in the script of the survey or do I need to convert in SAS?
related to an answer for: Date data format explanation
asked Feb 2, 2021 by sallen Bronze (2,315 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
If you take something like a CSV file of our survey data, there isn't anything there that would probably help SAS identify that the timestamp column is not just a bunch of numbers but that the numbers represent something special and a conversion could be made.  So I wouldn't expect anything (SAS, Excel, R, etc.) to inherently know what the timestamp is without the user doing something.  If you are using Lighthouse Studio, you can import the survey data first and then export out to CSV and Lighthouse will do the conversion for you into a more readable timestamp.
answered Feb 2, 2021 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,045 points)
Hi Brian,

This is exported survey data to CSV but it show up with the epoch date.  Am I missing a step?
Maybe double check the fields set to export in the export settings.  There are a few different time variables like sys_StartTime and sys_EndTime should be the readable ones, and then sys_StartTimeStamp and sys_EndTimeStamp should be the epochs (assuming you are on a somewhat recent version of the software).
Thanks!  I see that now.  I was missing that.