Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Can we Change the Coding of the MaxDiff task easily?

Dear All

I am currently writing a manuscript about my project for best-worst scaling. I have used the default marginal coding of the program and I got some feedback questions about applying the sequential marginal coding. I wanted to ask if it is possible to apply this coding method (sequential marginal coding) then analyze the results in the sawtooth software or the independent CBC/HB program? how could it be done if it is possible?. If it was not possible what would be the best argument to defend the marginal method?

N.B. I have mentioned all the arguments that have been reported in "Applied MaxDiff A Practitioner’s Guide to Best-Worst Scaling" by Chrzan and Orem

Thanks alot
asked Jan 18 by AMYN Bronze (3,000 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Lighthouse Studio doesn't offer and option to really get in and change the coding of the tasks prior to modeling, nor do we record if a respondent chose the best on the page first or the worst on the page first to try to make the second question from a reduced set (I think this is what you are referring to for sequential marginal, where the second answer removes the first answer?).

My guess is your best bet would be to export from our software and then see if an R package can perhaps assist with changing the task codings, but perhaps someone else might have an idea.
answered Jan 18 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (50,525 points)