Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Validation on open ended survey link

Happy new year all. Fingers crossed things are going to start getting better some time soon!

I have a bit of a random one here... Is there any way to validate a respondent based on the data collected?

I have a survey that is going to have an open link, I want to be able to look at the IP address of the respondent and check against the IP addresses for all other respondents and either return a question that says "It appears someone from your household has already completed this survey, would you like to continue?" or at the least create a flag for me to filter on.

I've validated across columns for one respondent on so many occasions, but validating one column across many respondents is new to me (and I have no idea if it is even possible) - any advice appreciated!
asked Jan 8 by crawliano Bronze (525 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
This is possible, but it will require querying your own database using unverified Perl.  The Community Question Library includes a starting point for this here:

https://sawtoothsoftware.com/resources/question-library/read-database

I've modified this code to create skip logic that should fire when a duplicate IP address is found:

Begin Unverified Perl
# Parameters
my $question = 'sys_IPAddress';
my $table = '';

my $databaseName = '';
my $databaseUser = '';
my $databasePass = '';
my $databaseHost = '';

# Read database
my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:mysql:' . $databaseName . ':' . $databaseHost, $databaseUser, $databasePass);
my $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT `' . $question . '` FROM `' . $table . '` WHERE `' . $question . '` IS NOT NULL AND `' . $question . '` <> ""');
$sth->execute();

my $ip = IPADDRESS();
my $duplicate = 0;
while (my $row = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref()) {
    my $resp = $row->[0];
    if ($resp eq $ip) {
        $duplicate = 1;
        last;
    }
}

$sth->finish;
$dbh->disconnect;

return $duplicate;
End Unverified

You'll need to upload your survey and adjust lines 4-9.  The link above offers more info on what the correct values to use for these are.
answered Jan 8 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (161,250 points)