Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Underestimation and Overestimation of CBC utilities.

We have implemented a dual response CBC and recorded the responses into two categories. Top 3 box as 1 and bottom 4 as 0. Then the client asked whether there would be any difference to average utilities if we implemented weighting/calibration. So we tried doing that but the result for all the attributes and their levels were same except of the none attribute. Which had fallen drastically and seemed to be unrealistic.

What could be the reason for such a drastic fall in the utility score for ' none' ?
asked Dec 24, 2020 by Kedar

1 Answer

0 votes
By calibrating the purchase intentions rating scale you likely increased or decreased the incidence of none, thereby changing the none utility.  Try a different calibration.
answered Dec 24, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (102,700 points)
Are the average utility scores sets comparable to each other after the implementation of calibration ? And also, which one should be used for the purchase likelihood ?
I'm not sure I understand your first question.

For the second, many companies have standard purchase intention scales that they use and they have evidence-based or convention-based ways of assigning probabilities to each point on the scale.  You used a 7 point scale whereas I usually use a standard 5 point purchase likelihood scale.  I cannot tell you how to weight your scale.