Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Sıngle Task Conjoint

I have an experimental question for you.

Is it possible to implement any conjoint models with a single task?
In other words, does the analysis work correctly with a design that the participants will only do a single choice task?

If we aim to solve it by increasing the sample huge amount in such a study, how much of a sample would be sufficient?

Are there any trials or studies on this topic?

Thanks in advance,
Ahmet Adali
asked Nov 30, 2020 by ahmet.adali (160 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
Ahmet,

Yes, this is certainly possible:  you do need to make up for it with sample size and you cannot run respondent-level models, of course, but it's a perfectly viable way of collecting data for an aggregate analysis.  

I don't know that anyone's written a paper about it, because it seems non-controversial, at least in its limitations.   I've heard some controversy about its advantages - I know there was one company that did most of their conjoint studies this way, thinking that only the first choice was of enough quality for building models, but many other folks think that the first couple of questions contain a lot of learning on the part of respondents and that the first question might be particularly inappropriate for building models upon.
answered Nov 30, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (98,075 points)