Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Implication of using Partial profile in simulating product concepts

I have a study with about 30 binary attributes (i.e. included not included) and price levels. I am building a partial profile to should only 10 of these 30 binary attributes per concept with price: always included.

My question is, does this partial profile have any significant implication on simulating product concepts in simulator based on all 30att+price? Are there any specifics controls that should be introduced to reflect that respondent only ever traded-off 10 attributes per concept?
asked Nov 24, 2020 by Hamza Bin Ikram

1 Answer

0 votes
Hamza,

Yes, there are implications. In particular, we know that the size of the none parameter (assuming there's a none in your study) depends on the number of items in the partial profiles (oddly, the % of respondents selecting none INCREASES with increasing number of attributes, as shown in Mike Patterson's paper in the 2003 Sawtooth Software Conference Proceedings available for free on our website; likely this is because of the greater cognitive complexity of profiles with more attributes).  In addition, there's good reason to believe that the utility of price may be underestimated in partial profile designs.  

Finally, we know that there can be decreasing marginal returns on utility for adding more attributes that are "present" rather than absent" (see Kevin Lattery's paper in the 2013 Conference Proceedings for a description of the problem and a potential solution).
answered Nov 24, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (102,700 points)
edited Nov 24, 2020 by Keith Chrzan