Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Categorization with Constructed List

Hello!

I am programming a Categorization question but the rows are a constructed list (this means the amount of items will vary). I want to make sure respondents sort all items - I'm not worried about how many they put in each category. Is there some code to make sure they can't submit unless the "Unsorted" bucket is empty?
asked Nov 24, 2020 by Liz

1 Answer

0 votes
The "requiredItems" setting of Categorization should only require an item be categorized if that item appears in the question.  If you set this variable to all of your parent list items, you should get the behavior you want.

GLOBAL_SAWTOOTH_[% QuestionName() %] = {
    'requiredItems': [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...],
    'exclusiveItems': [],
    'categoriesMinAndMax': {

}
};
answered Nov 24, 2020 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (171,950 points)
Great! This worked well

Another question on the Categorization - it looks like the position the respondent places the item in the box is recorded. We'd like to have respondents rank within these buckets. I noticed on a ranking question the rank number shows on the item when they drag it over, is it possible to do the same with this question?
Unfortunately that's not a baked-in feature, though it does sound like a good idea for a future release for Categorization.