Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Custom none alternative

Hello,

I have some thoughts regarding a custom none alternative.

Is it possible to have a 5 degree likert scale question as the none option in traditional cbc? Fx instead of the dual response no, asking "how likely would you be to buy this product?". I assume it takes some javascript to add it? Anyone who have done this, and would be able to share the code?

Secondly, if it is possible, would I be able to incorporate this into the hb analysis somehow?
asked Oct 27, 2020 by Timmy

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Timmy,

Yes, we do this all the time.  It takes no special code - just add the rating scale purchase intention scale right below a forced choice CBC question.  The software isn't set up to automatically integrate the scale question in the utility estimation, but it's easy to add manually - either you dichotomize the rating scale question and then run it as a DR none or you can assign probabilities of choice to each point on the rating scale (e.g. 75% for definitely will buy, 30% for probably will buy, 10% for might or might not buy, etc.).  Analysis of this second option, called "allocation none" is only a little more complex and is described in our book Becoming an Expert in Conjoint Analysis.
answered Oct 27, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (102,700 points)
Thanks Keith! I actually have the Becoming an Expert.. but I am not sure how to go about with the analysis.. would you be able to help?
We have an analytical consulting group that can help you with this.  Please contact me at keith@sawtoothsoftware.com and I can provide details.