Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Not Applicable with specify box

Hi,  
I have a questionnaire full of multi-select questions where answers are pictures and each has a "None of above, specify" answer. To fit all pictures on one screen to avoid scrolling I must display answers in 3-4 columns and I decided to use Non Applicable as the last option.

It works perfectly together with Better Lighthouse Library, but the Respondent Specify box is not usable at all, when I try to write here something "Non Applicable" functionality is triggered and it disables this box too.

Also, have 2 rankings with the same problem, but I think the solution will be the same.

How to fix this? Will be glad for any advice, thanks.
asked Oct 15 by ConstantineKlim (175 points)
Sorry, but I haven't been able to reproduce the behavior you are reporting.  Are there any other steps I would need to take to get a study into the state you are describing?  Or perhaps it would be possible for you to share a copy of your .ssi with support@sawtoothsoftware.com so I can try it out myself?  Obviously, any sensitive or irrelevant information could be removed from the copy before sharing it.
just sent the email, thank you for your help

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer
Oh, you mean that you have set the Not Applicable item to other specify.  I thought you were referring to a list item of your select / ranking question.  I hadn't thought about supporting other specify N/A before now.

I've added this to the list of changes to consider the next time I update the Community Question Library.  But I can offer a quick hack that ought to work for you in the meantime.  Locate this part of the Not Applicable question's footer:

$(qdiv).find('input[type="text"], input[type="tel"], textarea, select').val('').prop('disabled', true);

And replace it with this:

$(qdiv).find('input[type="text"]:not([id^=[% QuestionName() %]_]), input[type="tel"], textarea, select').val('').prop('disabled', true);
answered Oct 15 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (156,375 points)
selected Oct 16 by ConstantineKlim
Hi Zachary,

thank you for your help, really appreciate it. Also noted that you covered only minimum checks in Non applicable question. I needed the maximum checks too and was able to enable it by editing question footer and verification javascript, but its nice to have too.

Best,
Wouldn't setting the maximum checks in the main select question do that?
It actually does, nevermind.

I've never used "Force Respondent to check... 0 to N boxes" when question was non required, always swithed it to "Allow Respondents to check any number of boxex". Thanks for tip