Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

"Reverse" function

Hello,

I have a simple question.
I want to split my sample into 2 and use the reverse function in a constructed list.
"1234 or 4321"
How to proceed please ?

Thanks !
Best,
S
asked Sep 30, 2020 by Sylvain
Are you saying you want half your sample to see a list displayed in a question as 1-2-3-4 and the other half as 4-3-2-1?

2 Answers

0 votes
If I have assumed correctly, you could create a constructed list as follows ...
Begin Unverified Perl 

if(VALUE("SampleGroup")==1)
  {  
   ADD("Q1List");
  }
 else
  {  
   ADD("Q1List");
   REVERSE();
  }

End Unverified

You will need to create a pass-in sample field (I called it SampleGroup) that has half your sample tagged as "1" and the other half tagged as a "2". Define this sample field as a whole number data type. Import your sample in with this sample field included.

In my constructed list example above, change "Q1List" to your list name.

When SampleGroup=1, the respondent will see 1-2-3-4 displayed.
When SampleGroup=2, the respondent will see 4-3-2-1 displayed.

When you reach the analysis stage, you can use SampleGroup as the identifier to the order in which the respondent was displayed the code list.
answered Sep 30, 2020 by Paul Moon Platinum (89,980 points)
0 votes
Great answer Paul.
I would like to add to the Paul's answer. Creating the variable "SampleGroup" as pass-in-field is fine but it is possible that when you are over with the field work sample size, some respondents do not attempt the survey and you might have count of 1234 greater than or not equal to 4321 or vice-versa.
You can create "SampleGroup" as a quota  with two cells (Show1234 and Show4321) and use cell membership as least fill.
Now, create a constructed list using this variable.

Now, complete count of 1234 and 4321 will be approximately equal.
answered Sep 30, 2020 by Rahul Mittal Gold (11,635 points)
Certainly nothing wrong with adding in a least fill quota, particularly if your end result needs to be a 50%-50% spilt. Thanks Rahul.
Thanks Paul, Rahul, it is perfectly clear !
S