Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

how would you compare the WTP estimated using DCA with SIMALTO technique?

I noted that some businesses are using SIMALTO (SImultaneous Multi-Attribute Trade Off) to calculate WTP. To me he best practice has been DCE or BWS. what are the issues with other techniques from your view?
asked Sep 23, 2020 by Sally

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer
Sally,

Choice experiments are the gold standard for pricing research, as evidenced by their extensive use in the field of economics.  Choice experiments have a long history, a sound theoretical basis and have been challenged, modified, improved and vetted by vast amount of rigorous testing with respect to their design, their psychometrics, their analysis and their validity.  The inventor of the statistical methods supporting choice modeling, Dan McFadden, even won a Nobel Prize for his work in the area.  

I first saw Simalto presented at a conference back in the 80s, when I was first starting to do choice-based conjoint analysis.  I was unimpressed then and the years haven't much changed my opinion.  It seemed like an ad hoc approach lacking entirely in realism.  Moreover, I think I have never seen a single academic article about it, or any powerful empirical comparisons with choice-based conjoint - just the occasional bit of sales hype and even more occasionally a conference presentation.
answered Sep 23, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (111,275 points)
Thanks Keith for your response.
do you think it is fair to say SIMALTO does not have a robust theoretical basis?