Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Two Attribute Alternative Specific CBC?

I am working on a CBC that includes only two attributes.  I'll call them  Product and Price.

The attribute "Product" has five levels:
Product A
Product B
Product C
Product D
Product E

Price varies across the five products.  There is a single fixed price for Product A and Product E (not a numeric price, but pricing terms described in words e.g. market rate).  Products B, C and D each have a low, medium and high price which varies across the products.

To summarize:

Product A:  fixed price expressed in words (e.g. market rate)
Product B:  8, 10, 12
Product C: 10, 12, 15
Product D: 12, 15, 18
Product E: fixed price expressed in words (e.g. partner pricing)

Here's what I am thinking:

- Treat the three numeric price levels for Products B-D as high, medium and low (pipe in relevant value)

- Create alternative specific design, with product as the primary variable and price conditional to Products B, C and D, only.

- Product A and Product E would not have a price attached to it.  Instead, the pricing terms would be included in the verbiage of the Product A and Product E levels.

Does any of this make sense?   I worry about Product A and Product E having only one attribute.  Will this work?  

If not, how should I approach this?  Other considerations?

I would appreciate any help.  (I don't know why a two attribute study is tripping me up, but..argh).
asked Sep 8, 2020 by dpatek (310 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
This approach makes sense.  There are whole classes of choice experiments where choices are alternative-specific with just a single attribute, so this really isn't that peculiar at all.
answered Sep 8, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (105,750 points)
Thank you!