Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How to calculate p value

Hello,

I am a PhD student in UNLV. I did my analysis in Sawtooth Discover. I need to calculate p value of my model (significance of my model), and significance of my attributes.  

How can I calculate it?

Thank you.
asked May 26, 2020 by Tevfik

1 Answer

0 votes
There are a variety of tests that could be used for ascertaining significance of a conjoint model or significant differences between levels within the same attribute.

Since you are using Discover, then we are using Bayesian (empirical Bayes) estimation of the utility scores.  Practitioners often apply frequentist statistical testing procedures to the individual-level utility scores (which you can export from Discover to something like Excel or R), though this isn't formally proper per Bayesian standards.

So, if your research involves passing the review of Bayesians who will be keen on seeing that proper Bayesian tests were done, then this wouldn't pass muster.  But again, for practitioner purposes the frequentist tests are often used.

Please see the following link (I'm assuming you're using CBC rather than MaxDiff) to an article describing different tests you could perform.  If you go the frequentist route, I'd suggest the matched sample t-test.

https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/169-support/technical-papers/cbc-related-papers/2033-statistical-testing
answered May 26, 2020 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (184,340 points)