Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

What is "Error #324 Invalid test ID" when linking to second survey?

I have an opening question that asks respondents there preferred language. If they select Spanish, they skip to a Terminate question and the link takes them to the Spanish version of the survey.  When I click on this link or cut-n-paste it  into a browser it works fine. However, an Error #324 is generated whenever I go to the Spanish version through the re-direct in the Terminate question. So, the link works, but just not when redirecting a respondent in the Terminate question. When testing I get ...
"Sawtooth Error # 324
Invalid test ID.
Please try to refresh your browser or try to backup and submit again. If the error continues please contact the survey administrator."

Does anyone know what this "Error #324 Invalid test ID" means and how to correct it?
Related, in the browser address bar of the linked to (Spanish) survey this is appended to the link I set up in the Terminate question: &hid_test_mode=R9493KLSD27598X36SC69UJ5DELM8BD6&hid_pagenum=1&hid_link=1&hid_javascript=1&hid_screenwidth=1249
I'm guessing the above "hid_test_mode= ... " is the culprit. Does anyone fully understand what Lighthouse appends to the redirect link at termination?
asked May 16 by MMidghall (120 points)
edited May 16 by MMidghall

1 Answer

0 votes
Generally speaking you don't want to include any hidden variables in links to surveys, just the URL that Lighthouse will show you after a survey is uploaded.  The only thing passed in is the study name and then any pass-in variables you have specifically set up.

Hidden variables tend to be things we create or track once a survey record has begun.  I'd be willing to bet that the error specifically is being caused by trying to pass in a test mode ID, the R9 value, because that value wouldn't be valid when starting the new Spanish survey since it's something the survey is supposed to create itself.
answered May 18 by Brian McEwan Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (46,545 points)
Brian - thanks for your response.

To clarify, I did not include any hidden variables in my link. In fact, the link works fine when I cut-n-paste or click on it in an email. What I just learned from Sawtooth Tech Support is that my issue resulted from testing the process when using the Admin Module Thus, there really was no problem!

So, for everyone else, be careful when using the Admin Module to test survey functionality.

I really wish we could gain more visibility on Server Errors. If this was documented somewhere I would not have just lost a whole weekend of fielding. :-(
Ah, I didn't realize this was testing from within the admin module.  Off the top of my head I would have thought the redirect would have worked.  Server errors are tricky because many of them can have more than one cause, but it would be great if we were able to provide perhaps some more guidance as to what maybe could have been the cause.  Sorry we weren't able to get involved sooner, I'm sure that was frustrating.