Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How can I calculate the share of respondents of the total sample that would choose one specific product concept?

Hello everyone,

I have conducted a choice-based CBC and performed HB-analysis to get the individual utilities for all respondents. Based on this data, I'm able to make an inference about the ideal product concept for a specific consumer segment within my sample. Now I would like to make a statement about the share of preference for this product (e.g. 40% of the whole sample size would choose this product).

I have unsuccessfully tried to do this with the built-in choice simulator of lighthouse studio. I am not looking for the share of preference in relation to other product concepts. But the answer to this question; if this product concept was available at the market, how many people would choose it as their most preferred one.

Does someone know how to do this?

Thank you very much.

Best,
Noëmi
asked Apr 29, 2020 by noemiL (120 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
If you want to know what proportion of respondents would choose your concept, you have to run a simulation.  A 40% share doesn't have a lot of meaning outside of some competitive context.  So you need to simulate some kind of marketplace so that you can say 40% of the marketplace (because 40% pick your concept and 60% choose others) or that it's the most preferred (because it has a higher share than any other product in the simulation.  Outside the context of a simulation I don't know how these sentences even make sense.  

If you just want to know how the proportion of people who would choose your product if it were the only product on the market, you can simulate your product vs a none alternative.  But you still need to simulate.
answered Apr 30, 2020 by Keith Chrzan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (102,700 points)