Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Summed price: I want to display price in two ways -- one as a base value, and one as a multiple by 4

My product shows price as a Entry level and as a Total.
Some products have Total = Entry, while other products are Total > Entry).

e.g.,
Product 1:
Entry = $4000
Total = $16000 ($4000 x 4)

e.g.,
Product 2:
Entry = $4000
Total = $4000 ($4000 x 1).

So I'd like to display these two 'attributes'. One attribute is specified as a fixed price, which is Base. A summed price can then show the total price.

My understanding is that treating Price as a separate attribute means that price utility is estimated discretely; using summed price means that price utility is estimated continuously (which is why the summed price requires some degree of 'shock', like +/- 20%'.

If the % specification for price variation is set to 0%, I'd get a warning.

"You will NOT be able to estimate price sensitivity for your study. The negative utilities for the level-based prices you have specified will be confounded with the preferences for the levels they are associated with."

I get that the lack of variation means that there's no information. I don't really understand the the second sentence concretely. What does it mean exactly?

More practically, is there a way to display the aesthetic of a "Total" price, as in the above examples?

(The other way I considered was just to do two attributes: Base price ($, $$, $$$ levels) and Renewability (renewable, non-renewable). It's just that I didn't want people doing math on the tasks...
asked Feb 12, 2020 by yorkmr (450 points)
edited Feb 12, 2020 by yorkmr

Your solution to the original question

Please only use this to answer the original question. Otherwise please use comments.
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:

To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.