Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Multiple MaxDiff in same questionnaire

I have a questionnaire that has four different MaxDiff exercises.  Each respondent answers only one of them depending on answers to earlier questions.  Is there a preferred strategy for setting this up given that only a subset of respondents will visit each MaxDiff?  Should I set up each MaxDiff as its own separate study and link back and forth to them or it is ok to put them all in the same study and use skip routings to get people to the appropriate one.  I am thinking of the impact on the MaxDiff design and analysis, given all of the missing data - not just the questionnaire flow.  Thanks!
asked Oct 30, 2012 by anonymous

1 Answer

0 votes
Your solutions depend on what version of SSI Web you are on, but I'd always strive to send everyone through one survey just so you have unique respondent numbers.  If you split people out you'll have four respondent 1's, four respondent 2's, etc.

On earlier versions of the software, you could just use some skip logic to move people around, i.e. if you chose the first radio button of Q14, you should see the first introductory text/filler page and then continue on through the first MaxDiff exercise.  If you chose the second radio button, I'll skip you over the first exercise to a second text/filler introduction and you take the second MaxDiff exercise.

In later versions of the survey, you could put MaxDiff exercises into randomized blocks and control what block a person goes

From a design perspective, I don't think you'll see much practical effect if you have "holes" in your designs, i.e. nobody saw version 287 of the third MaxDiff exercise.  Each version is constructed to be balanced and orthogonal.
answered Oct 31, 2012 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,045 points)
Thanks Brian.  That ("Each version is constructed to be balanced and orthogonal.") is exactly what I needed to know.
If you are on version 8, our designer code received some improvements to make it even better.  You can read about it at https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/download/maxdiff_designer_v8_0_4.pdf.
I am on v8 and this paper is excellent.  Thank you!