Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Is it possible to set up a disqualification that removes participants for selecting the same answer to every question?

I’m running a CBC survey with Sawtooth lighthouse studio through a Qualtrics panel. I set up the pass-in and out fields to connect respondent data from qualtrics, into sawtooth and back to qualtrics. Qualtrics holds the screen questions to disqualify respondents on their end, but is it possible to set up disqualifiers within Sawtooth? I set up a photo based CBC where respondents are presented with two photos and a 'none' option. The IRB requires that we have a ‘none’ option in my CBC. However, in our soft launch of the survey, we found some respondents clicking through on the ‘none’ option. Is it possible to set up something that removes respondents who click 'none’ for every question? And if so, how is this information passed back to Qualtrics?
asked Jan 15 by kbroich (180 points)
Can you clarify what you mean by "remove respondents?"  Like, do you want to terminate them and kick them out of the survey, or do you just want to flag them with a variable?

1 Answer

+1 vote
I would start by adding a pass-in field to your questionnaire.  Then, on a page after the CBC, add this script:

[% Begin Unverified Perl
# Parameters
my $exerciseName = 'cbc';
my $randomTasks = 10;
my $fixedTasks = 0;
my $noneConcept = 3;
my $passInField = 'pif';

# Run
my $allNone = 1;

for (my $i = 1; $i <= $randomTasks && $allNone; $i++) {
    if (GETVALUE($exerciseName . '_Random' . $i) != $noneConcept) {
        $allNone = 0;
    }
}

for (my $i = 1; $i <= $fixedTasks && $allNone; $i++) {
    if (GETVALUE($exerciseName . '_Fixed' . $i) != $noneConcept) {
        $allNone = 0;
    }
}

SETVALUE($passInField, $allNone);
End Unverified %]

Line 3 must be updated with the name of the CBC exercise.  Lines 4 and 5 with the numbers of random and fixed tasks.  Line 7 with the name of your pass-in field.

Now your pass-in field records a 1 if none was selected in all tasks, or 0 otherwise.  You can pass this value through your termination link back to Qualtrics.
answered Jan 15 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (153,100 points)
That worked! I just added a follow up question using "ask related question" rather than a comment.

Is it possible to add more rules? I have 20 questions and I'd like to remove those who selected none as a majority of their answers. Can I set it up to remove those who selected none 11 or more times?