Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

estimate utilities by soziodemographic data

Hello,

I do not find any option to do an HB separate for different groups.
I asked in my survey (besides the CBC questions) sozidemographic data like Age, Gender, Education.
I would like to run an HB estimation for different groups for example one for the female and one for the male to see if there are differences in the utilities and importances of the attributes.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks an best regards,
Beatrice
asked May 16, 2019 by bea007 (255 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote
I'm assuming you're using Lighthouse Studio.  If so, please click Analysis + Analysis Manager.  Then, choose HB as the Analysis Type.  There is a "gear" icon to the right of that, that lets you select settings for your HB run.  Click that Gear icon.  On the left of the dialog that appears, you can select the Respondent Filter dialog, which lets you isolate which respondents to include in the HB run.

However, you should note that it isn't necessary to run HB separately by different groups to achieve a straightforward (Frequentist) test of differences between groups of people.  You can just run HB generically including all respondents, which will give you utility scores and importance scores for each respondent in the output.  Then, you can use those utility scores (preferably the normalized zero-centered diffs) and also the importance scores (which are  already normalized, of course, to sum to 100) within a cross-tabulation tool like SPSS or your favorite cross-tab tool to conduct F-tests and T-tests for differences between groups of respondents.

For more details, including more sophisticated Bayesian tests, please visit:  https://www.sawtoothsoftware.com/169-support/technical-papers/cbc-related-papers/2033-statistical-testing
answered May 16, 2019 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (175,415 points)