Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Code for showing respondents their ranking after MaxDiff exercise?

Hi all,

I have developed a MaxDiff questionnaire that is working, but I just wanted to add in a feature that shows the respondent their overall ranking of the items they have seen. It would be great to show this as a list and ideally to have a comments box next to each item so I can offer the chance to the respondent to add any thoughts about the ranking. Perhaps the latter is overkill, but I would really like to show them the list. Is this possible? How and where would I code this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
asked Sep 12, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

+1 vote
This is pretty easy.  SSI Web has built-in SSI Script functions for computing MaxDiff scores (using individual-level logit) and returning the information about the rank orders.

You could create a constructed list, and then force the items onto the list starting from the first item through the last item using the SSI Script function: MaxDiffRankAttValue(ExerciseName, Rank#) within the constructed list scripting area.  Then, you'd use the SSI Script function: FormatListLabels (ListName, "BeforeText", "AfterText") to display the list to the screen, in a bulleted or numbered list.

Or, you can create a little bit of HTML (a table), and directly return the item text for 1st rank, 2nd rank, etc. to the webpage using the script: MaxDiffRankAttLabel(ExerciseName, Rank#)

(Look up those functions in the Help for more details.)
answered Sep 12, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (198,815 points)