Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Saving partial data on a survey page without submitting

I have a short survey which contains the following ...

Page 1 - introduction (contains text only)
Page 2 - 9 numeric questions
Page 3 - outro / termination (contains text only)

My problem is this - any respondent who clicks on their respective link will be directed to the introduction on page 1 and then continue onto page 2. They may answer some of the 9 numeric questions on page 2 then suspend the survey and come back to it later. At this stage, they have not submitted the page 2 answers because all answers have not been entered. Some of the answers for the 9 numeric questions may require going away and doing some homework and some of the answers will be entered immediately. I would like a save button on the page to save the partially entered data. When the respondent is ready to return to the survey, they can click on the link which will take them directly to page 2 to finish off.

I'm assuming the save button will incorporate some type of JavaScript? Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Regards.
asked Sep 11, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (97,670 points)
edited Sep 11, 2012 by Paul Moon

2 Answers

0 votes
I've gotten around this by having an intermediate select question between page 2 and page 3 that has options "answer more questions" and "submit results."

Could even set the next page to autoskip back to the question page unless they check a "submit results" box, so they next button basically becomes your save/submit button.

Still waiting for my Set_Value() JavaScript function though..
answered Sep 11, 2012 by anonymous
0 votes
This is probably going to be a bit beyond me, as answers aren't saved to the database until the submit function is run by clicking on the next button.  It might be possible in v8 to create an empty pass-in field for each answer, and then your save button would use the SetValue() function to grab the value currently in each box and save it to those pass-in fields.  The page would also include something that onload would grab each pass-in field's value and place it into the correct input box?  I'm not a real JavaScript programmer, but I think this approach would work.
answered Sep 12, 2012 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (55,820 points)