Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Filtering Without Changing Data

Hi there,
I am filtering individuals from a group. I realize that the utilities and importances will change as the person is not being compared to the group anymore (in HB), but I was wondering if there is any way to look at the individual data separate from the group data without changing the numbers? It's more just for the ease of looking at less data at once. I care about the individual as a result of the group, so the changed numbers are causing problems. I hope this makes sense! Please let me know.

Also what exactly is happening when I look at one individual in HB separate from the rest? Are these the "true" utilities of that individual?

Thank you so much :)
asked Sep 21, 2018 by amyandes (225 points)

1 Answer

0 votes
If you run a single HB estimation on some conjoint data, then each respondent receives an individual set of utilities and attribute importance scores.  Those utilities are then set and do not change if you do something like segment the utilities by a demographic variable or other survey question.

The averages will change if you segment or isolate a group of respondents, but those individual respondents don't change unless you isolate them first and then run a new utility estimation.
answered Sep 24, 2018 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,375 points)
Thank you Brian! I am just curious because this all makes sense, but I am unable to segment by demographic variables without first running a new estimate. Is there another way to filter data besides the filter respondents? That is what makes me estimate utilities each time.

I appreciate your help!
Which software version are you using?  Current software (Lighthouse 9.anything) has an Analysis Manager where you add the analysis runs.  Once a run is complete, there is a Utility Report button up across the top that will launch a new window and show you average utilities and importances.  You can choose segments and refresh to segment or isolate certain groups, and there's also some visualization options for boxplots and histograms.