Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Grid question change width collum A

In my grid question I would like to make the first column (Collumn A, containing the labels of the things I am asking questions on) to make it at least twice the width of the other columns. Is this possible?
I am using Sawtooth v.7 on windows xp.
asked Jul 19, 2012 by anonymous

3 Answers

0 votes
You can change the width of the labels column (%) which is under the formats tab of a grid type question.

The question width (we generally set ours to 1000) is the width of the whole question.

The body width is the actual grid width. This could be set to say 700 or 800 for example.

Fiddle with the "width of the labels column (%)" and you should be able to get the desired result.
answered Jul 19, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (98,670 points)
0 votes
Paul, what he is trying to do is just change one column and leave the others the same.

The easy (yet ugly) solution would be to go to the columns tab and change column 1 to read "_______Column 1________"

A bit more in depth but much nicer looking, would be a Free Format question where you essentially designed your own grid. I've typed up a simple example you can put into your Question HTML section:

<table border="1">
  <colgroup>
    <col style="width:100px" />
    <col span="1" style="width:200px" />
    <col style="width:100px" />
  </colgroup>
  <tr>
<th></th>
    <th>Q1</th>
    <th>Q2</th>
    <th>Q3</th>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Option A</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="1-1" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="1-2" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="1-3" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Option B</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="2-1" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="2-2" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="2-3" /></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Option C</td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="3-1" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="3-2" /></td>
    <td><input type="checkbox" name ="3-3" /></td>
  </tr>
</table>

Let me know if this is what you were looking for
answered Jul 19, 2012 by amc Bronze (745 points)
The main reason I avoid free format questions is because you lose all the functionality like the hilight, the other specify feature, etc. built in features.

If you change the label column %, which is very simple to do, you can get the result you need. And Sawtooth equally divides the columns 2+ automatically for you.
0 votes
The HTML we write uses percentages to make each column equal.  You can use CSS to target each column.  Columns are given lots of classes to inherit styles, but should have a unique class like grid_c1.  You can tap into this class with some custom CSS and do something like this:

<style type="text/css">
.grid_c1
{width:150px;}
</style>

You could also play around with saying width:200%.
answered Jul 19, 2012 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (56,045 points)