Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

More characters in "Other Specify"

Hi guys,

how is it possible to have a grid check box question with an "Other Specify" option  where it is possible to write many words or sentences.
Of course i can increase the "Maximum Characters" to a high value, but then the input box is very long. Is there a way to have for example the box 30 characters long (visually) but the user can type in a much as he wants?

regards
Jay
asked Jun 4, 2012 by anonymous

2 Answers

0 votes

Best answer
assuming your textbox has the id of "s1_2_other", place the following in the footer.
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
document.getElementById("s1_2_other").style.width = "10px";
//-->
</script>
answered Jun 4, 2012 by Bahadir Ozkurt Gold (16,980 points)
0 votes
Your grid row and column dimensions are set under the format tab of the actual grid question. These will squeeze the rows and column codes and other specify box into the grid according to your format settings.

The maximum number of characters are set by clicking on the other specify code and then click the "Settings" box which is under the "Respondent Specify" tick box. The options available are the maximum number of characters for the other specify comment, required response, multiple lines to display the comment box, and the dimensions of the comment box.

Good luck.
answered Jun 4, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (96,920 points)
Dear Paul

thanks for your quick response.
I have version 6.6.18

Where is the option to set this :
 multiple lines to display the comment box, and the dimensions of the comment box.

I could not find these functions.

regards
Jay
Go into the lists and click on the list that has your other specify code. Then click on the other specify code. Below the actual list is the options I was referring to. You can setup your settings by clicking on the SETTINGS box.

To be more fancy, you can create a CSS file or CSS code in your head tag that enables you to set global settings.

And Bahadir has mentioned a method using JavaScript if that grabs your fancy.