Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

How can i export the dataset from Sawtooth to SQL?

We have a survey that collects responses everyday and we need to export the dataset from Sawtooth to SQL on a daily basis. Is is something that we can do? any help/info greatly apprecaited! Thanks!!
asked May 29, 2012 by anonymous
retagged Sep 13, 2012 by Walter Williams

3 Answers

+1 vote
I haven't used SQL for a number of years so I'm not up to date with it.

Sawtooth's current export capabilities include ...

*Excel (various versions)
*CSV
*SPSS
*TAB & LAY

Does importing into SQL cater for any of these formats? If not, you can export from Sawooth, import into a database package like Access and go to SQL from there.
answered May 29, 2012 by Paul Moon Platinum (96,920 points)
+1 vote
If you are using a version of SSI Web earlier than version 8, then there really isn't a great way to automate the process.  Previous versions stored respondent data in multiple files, so you would need to somehow crawl each of those files and store the information you parsed into your database.  Figuring out how to use existing tools, like exporting from SSI Web to CSV like Paul mentioned, are probably the best approach.

In version 8 we are now using a database, so I would imagine it would be possible to query our own table for a particular survey and write that information to another table or database.  I don't know the best way or language to use to do that, but it seems like it should be doable.
answered May 30, 2012 by Brian McEwan Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (55,820 points)
+1 vote
Version 8 is great for this because its already stored in an SQL database.  I don't know exactly what you mean by export from Sawtooth to SQL.  There are lots of tools that dump the data from databases to SQL format files.  Also, many SQL databases can read in a csv file as long as its format matches the data table you want to merge the data with.  So you can use the CSV export if you are trying to format the data a specific way, but you would be better off scripting the downloading of the data from the admin module as the file already comes down as a csv in V8 or directly from the database.  If you are using V7 or previous then your best bet is to use the CSV option or write a program that will translate the CSV to SQL.  There are also online tools that do this as well for free but may not be exactly what you want.
answered May 30, 2012 by Mike Lodder Gold (22,975 points)