Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

can i do a latent class segmentation in a study of student background factors who enter to the higher education

iam doing a research on study about the background factors which affects the students entering the srilankan state universities .i have about 15 categorical variables and want to do a variable reduction and have some clusters with similaraties
asked Apr 17, 2012 by anonymous

2 Answers

0 votes
If you want to use Latent Class with descriptive variables as your basis variables, then a software system like Latent Gold (not our software) can do this.  Our Latent Class software is used when you have a dependent varaible (choice of concept) resulting from CBC or MaxDiff interviewing, which isn't the case for you.

Another approach is to turn your categorical variables into dummy-coded variables, and submit it to our Convergent Cluster Ensemble Analysis (CCEA) system.  Should produce similar results to latent class, though I don't know for certain which results would be better.

For example, a 3-level categorical demographic variable could be coded as three 0/1 variables, where:

Category 1 = 1 0 0
Category 2 = 0 1 0
Category 3 = 0 0 1

Then, those new 3 binary variables are used in the cluster ensemble routine, rather than the original categorical variable which had been coded as 1, 2, or 3.
answered Apr 17, 2012 by Bryan Orme Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (198,715 points)
0 votes
Or use the Q software . . its Latent Class capability is very good.
Www.q-researchsoftware.com

Scott
answered Apr 17, 2012 by anonymous