Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Grid corner label disappears on mobile phone / tablet view

I was wondering if this was a bug or by design?

I have a grid corner label (defined under the grid text tab of a grid question) which looks great in desktop / laptop view. In mobile phone / tablet view, it totally disappears.

I was able to use the ScreenWidth function and some Perl within my row parent list to rectify the issue (see below) ...
[%Begin Unverified Perl 

my $brand="";

if(SCREENWIDTH()<800)
  {  
   $brand="<b>Brand A - Ease of managing and updating your listings on the site</b>"; 
  }
 else
  {  
   $brand="Brand A"; 
  }

return $brand;

End Unverified%]

Should the grid corner label be displayed in mobile phone / tablet view without having to write Perl script?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.
asked Nov 2, 2016 by Paul Moon Platinum (98,670 points)
edited Nov 2, 2016 by Paul Moon

1 Answer

0 votes
Removing the corner label from mobile grids was by design because there isn't really a "corner" any more in mobile view.  Where would you want the corner label to appear in mobile mode?
answered Nov 2, 2016 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (205,575 points)
Thanks for confirming Zachary.

I would like the corner label to appear underneath the row label for mobile / tablet devices.

So if I had the following rows ...

1 Brand A
2 Brand B
3 Brand C

and the corner label was "Performs above expectations", I would see something like this ...

Brand A
<br>
Performs above expectations
[then the scale is displayed]

Brand B
<br>

Brand C
<br>

And what might follow after this is the next statement: "A brand I can trust" ...

Brand A
<br>
A brand I can trust

Brand B
<br>
A brand I can trust

Brand C
<br>
A brand I can trust

and so on ...

As mentioned earlier Zachary, I got it to work with Perl and the ScreenWidth function. Worked quite nicely actually. I was just wondering if the grid corner label should be considered for display on the mobile / tablet devices?
The problem we have with corner labels is that we couldn't identify a common, consistent use that would apply to a majority of users and could therefore be used as a default. It looks like you're using it as an additional descriptor for your response option labels, correct? That's actually the most intuitive use of a corner label that I've seen, and I like that. Pretty slick work around you came up with too.

We're constantly revisiting this kind of thing so we'll have to discuss if it's something we feel could go in as a general behavior. Until then though I think we'll point people to your work around if they have questions about it. Very nice.
Thanks for the explanation Lance. Makes sense.

As I was putting the programming together for this, I was wondering is this a bug or designed on purpose.

Now I know I have to deal with this with the this technique but that's okay. This solution takes care of the problem.

And thanks again Zachary for you feedback. Much appreciated buddy.