Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Other Specify in grid--allow respondent not to fill in with certain answer

Hi,

I have an "Other Specify" in a grid where each row is a radio button question. Currently, the grid has a Yes column and a No column. I want the respondent to have to fill in the "Other Specify" if they respond Yes, but they can proceed to the next question by answering No and not filling in anything in the "Other Specify" text box. How do I go about this?

Thanks so much!
asked Jul 7, 2016 by sgraham (190 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer
Start by setting the other specify to not require a response in the list settings.  Then set the custom JavaScript verification (found by clicking the "Advanced..." button in the grid question settings) to this:

if (SSI_GetValue('GridQ_r10') == 1 && SSI_GetValue('GridQ_r10_other') == '') {
    strErrorMessage = 'Error message here.';
}

"GridQ" should be replaced with the name of the grid question.  "r10" should be updated with the row number that has the other specify.
answered Jul 7, 2016 by Zachary Platinum Sawtooth Software, Inc. (164,125 points)
selected Jul 7, 2016 by sgraham
Hi Zachary, your solution works well, but is it possible to highlight the Other Specify box in case of an error like it's done with regular settings?