Have an idea?

Visit Sawtooth Software Feedback to share your ideas on how we can improve our products.

Merging and analyzing two ACBC data sets in Lighthouse 9

Dear All,

I plan to conduct and bilingual ACBC experiment (+ survey section). I understood that it is easiest to create and host two identical projects in English and German and run them in field in parallel. Afterwards, I want to merge the data sets and analyze them with the integrated analysis manager in Lighthouse 9. Besides the "text body" the projects are identical!

However, I have not figured out the best possibile way  to merge two data sets of two different (yet identical content-wise) projects in the new Lighthouse 9. I have conducted a pre-test with both language versions but do not know how to merge their data into one data set. The threads in this forum are all related to the old SSI Web 8.x with SMRT simulator.

I - and I guess many users to follow - would appreciate a quick guidance on how to proceed for that matter in Lighthouse 9.

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
Christoph
asked Apr 14, 2016 by floethy86 (140 points)
retagged Apr 14, 2016 by Walter Williams

1 Answer

0 votes
For version 9, you can still download the data directly from the Admin module in a .csv file. Bring down the two .csv datasets, open them in Excel or a text editor, and copy the one into the other. (Create backups just in case!) Then import the combined dataset into one of the two surveys. One tip: If you go into the Advanced tab on the Survey Settings, you can tell the software to start one survey's respondent numbering at, say, 10001 so that there are not conflicting respondent numbers when you merge the two data sets.
answered Apr 28, 2016 by Aaron Hill Gold Sawtooth Software, Inc. (11,620 points)
Dear Aaron,

thank you very much. I will try it out.

However, I guess I already found an easier way:

I open one of the two projects and import the data of both via the data management tab using the admin link (note: I host the experiment via the Sawtooth servers). When I import the second data set, I get a warning message of "duplicate respondent" . I then react by selecting "accumulate respondent with new respondent number" and also select "apply the same action to all duplicate respondents".

Now the data sets are merged automatically in Lighthouse and I can go straight to the "analysis manager" to analyze the aggregated data set of both experiments.

Best regards,
Christoph